I think we’re all in agreement here at Sugar UK HQ that we need some exciting new British pop groups in the charts. Well, yesterday I caught up with lovely ladies The Saturdays to get the lowdown on their inspirations and aspirations as well as just generally finding out a little more about the shiny new Brit girl group!
The five glam ladies – Una, Mollie, Frankie, Vanessa and Rochelle – are about to release their danceable first single “If This Is Love” on July 28 (NB: you might recognise Frankie and Rochelle from S Club Juniors). FabUK and BellaUK will be giving you the lowdown on all their fashion and beauty preferences this week too, so keep an eye out!
- Hi girls. First things first, are you already sick of the Girls Aloud comparisons?
It’s always going to happen because we supported them on tour and are signed to the same label. We just want to be a band in our own right. Girls Aloud are great though and it’s a huge compliment.
- How would you describe your music in five words for anyone who hasn’t heard it?
Pop / Catchy / Melodic / Meaningful / Uplifting
(Listen to new single “If This Is Love” and exclusive track “Lies” at their myspace!)
- Who are your influences, idols and inspirations both musically and generally?
The Spice Girls were amazing so we’d love to be half as big as them.
- Tell us your favourite current UK pop bands?
Girls Aloud!!!!! And Take That!!
- I give them major kudos on the Take That choice! To find out the girls’ dream dates to the Brits 2009, their aspirations, and what they wouldn’t do for a million pounds, just read more
- In an ideal world, where do you want to be in a year’s time?
Having a #1 album and a sell out tour!!
- What’s the best party you’ve ever been to, and what made it so good?
The Girls Aloud tour wrap party was amazing!!! They sure know how to party!!
- OK, time for a couple of individual questions: You have three words to describe yourself, what words would you choose?
Una – Outgoing / Determined / Passionate
Vanessa – Silly / Modest / Nice!!
Mollie – Fun / Driven / Romantic
Frankie – Flirtatious / Confident / Chatty
Rochelle – Ambitious / Bubbly / Friendly
- Who would be your dream date when you attend Brits next year?
R – Chris
F – Mark Ronson
M – Chace Crawford
V – Wentworth Miller
U – Johnny Depp
- Not many Brit men in that list, but I’m totally with you on Chace and Johnny… Are you sticking to the UK for now, or will you be crossing the pond any time soon?
America is definitely in our sights but we’re just taking one step at a time at the moment!
- What wouldn’t you do for a million pounds?
Get naked in a lads mag!!!!!!!
- Glad to hear it! So what does the rest of 2008 hold for you?
We have got 3 singles and the album [coming out]. Plus more dates with Girls Aloud and loads of fun on the way!
- And finally, tell us a secret…
Erm, we’re all men in drag!?!?!?!
Sorry, girls, I’m not convinced! Check out some more about The Saturdays on their website, I’m sure we’ll be seeing a lot more of them in the future!